Thursday, October 9, 2014

A Risky Gamble

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to take a (probably ill-advised) gamble. For reasons beyond my ken -- I mean, I should know better -- I was researching airfare for our adoption trip. I came across some ridiculously good rates with excellent connections. Small problem. We didn't then nor do we now have our travel approval. In other words, we didn't then nor do we now know for certain when we're traveling. However, after weighing the pros and cons, we determined the rewards vs. the risks were acceptable and got our tickets (the saga with upgrades, refunds and waivers would be a post in and of itself and a boring one at that, so I'll skip it). Naturally, the last couple of weeks have been stressful in the extreme. We need to get our travel approval (VERY) soon in order to get our consulate date to ensure I made tickets reservations for the appropriate dates. If not, we're out the change fees plus the difference between our rates and the new rates for whatever dates we would be traveling. Not cheap. Well, today we moved one step closer. I got an email from our travel guy at our agency stating, "Dear China Families: Congratulations on receiving your Article 5! .... Your travel approval, sent by the CCCWA in duplicate to our Eugene office via express international mail, should arrive within two or three weeks..." On one hand, YAY! We have 1 (1/2) steps remaining: TA and Consulate Appointment. We are soooo close. On the other hand, UH OH! If we don't actually get our travel approval for three weeks, it will in all likelihood be too late to make the November travel group. :-O What I'm trying to say is, please pray for a very quick turn around between the issuance of our Article 5 (today) and our TA / CA!!! We are cutting it so close. And, we are so close. I can't believe we're almost there..... Hold on Carter. Your crazy Mama and Baba are almost there, and soon you will be meeting your crazy brothers! Now, if it wasn't for our possible financial ruin hanging over our heads (OK, that may be a slight exaggeration), I would be over-the-moon, beyond crazy excited. As it is, I'm pretty thrilled and feeling the beginnings of excitement bubbling under the surface. COME ON TA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment