Monday, November 10, 2014

We Have (Another) Son!

My heart is full as this beautiful, sweet, charming, bright, and dare I say, naughty 3-year-old sits contentedly on my lap as I type this.  I don't have a lot of time to type as we still have tubby time to take care of as well as getting some noodles "cooked" for supper.  The brief version is this:

I woke up at 4:00 a.m. after going to bed at 11:00 p.m. I was simply too worked up to sleep (and our room reeked of smoke) so I talked to people back home.  Troy slept for awhile longer, but we were both up well before our 7:00 a.m. alarm.  We Skyped people back home, got ready for the day, and generally (figurately) paced the floor and chewed our nails.  

At 9:30 we met in the hotel lobby and all seven of our families loaded into the bus.  After an interminable ride, we arrived at the Civil Affairs Office.  For the first time, we did not receive our child first! We were sitting at a table doing paperwork when I happened to glance up, saw Carter walking in with some of the orphanage staff, and gasped.  Troy says I virtually ran to him.  I have no real recollection of this.  I guess I left Troy in the proverbial dust.  He grabbed the video camera, I must have handed our iPad to a girl I did not then nor do not now know (she was an angel for sure!), and both started filming. 

It was a beautiful first meeting.  He was a little shy at first but eventually started playing around us if not with us.  He loved his cars, lollipops, and balls.  All was pretty good, until....his teacher and orphanage staff left.  The grieving started in earnest then.  He hit, he pushed, he screamed, he cried.  But, as we left the building, he calmed down.  Since then, he has played with us and been a fun, outgoing little guy.  He hasn't done a lot of cuddling or looked for a lot of affection, but it's a process.  He did cry for about a minute when Troy left to go get some supplies, but I took him for a walk in the stroller, and he conked out for a bit.  It's been an eventful, stressful day!

A couple of things we've learned.  He talks.  A lot.  And our guide Anson says he speaks well and that he can understand Carter! In the information we got, it says he speaks 5-word sentences. He seems really smart.  And seems to be a smart-aleck.  Sigh.  He is also VERY active but plays well by himself as well.  We have no idea what his hearing level is, but we are really fairly unconcerned.  He is sweet, beautiful, charming, and our SON!  We are grateful beyond anything any mere words could say. Thank you to everybody who has done some much to bring us to this point!

 At the Civil Affairs Office
 Showing us his writing skills back at "home"
 A McDonald's burger.  He didn't actually eat it
 He DID actually eat this (and many other) Oreos
 And Daddy pretty much lets him do whatever he wants (there's chance Carter already has his baba wrapped around his little finger).
 A lot of smiles today!
 A much needed if too late nap
 I couldn't leave him alone -- obviously









No comments:

Post a Comment