Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Brief Hong Kong Update

I guess I can recap the day even if it is only 6:30 PM. It will be a brief post as we really didn't do a whole lot. We were up at 4:30 thanks to Aiden (as covered in the previous post) but didn't head out until a little before 8:00. A little insight? Hong Kong is QUIET before 9:00. It was nice, but it was already HOT, HOT, HOT out. We wandered down to the harbor and walked the Avenue of the Stars. Aiden was already kind of wild but paradoxically tired and wanted to be held because it was "too heavy." Any time he doesn't want to do something, this is his statement. He kept repeating that it was "time eat," so we headed back to the hotel, asked for an inexpensive, good place to eat -- some place locals would go. Our concierge gave us a place, and he was right. It was tasty and inexpensive. We were the only tourists in the place. Always a good sign. ;) We came back to the hotel to check how to get to Victoria Peak. We walked back to the harbor, took the Star Ferry, grabbed the 15C bus to the tram, and took the funicular to the Peak. Reverse that and we came back to the hotel. I tried to repack as we are going to check three bags and need to get necessities and two changes of clothes for everybody into one carry on; I failed at this task. Too tired. We decided to forge ahead without a nap (we'd live to regret this), so we took Aiden up to the rooftop swimming pool and spent a half hour or so. We came back down to the room, changed, and went back to the concierge. He gave us directions to a nearby "alley" with good, inexpensive, authentic Chinese restaurants. Score! Wow. It was great and for food and drink for the two of us? About $10 US. Notice I said for the TWO of us. We were walking there, Aiden looked up at me and said? Yep. You guessed it. "Too heavy!" I picked him up and he was asleep within two blocks. Nothing could keep him awake. He slept through supper and the walk home. In other words, he has been sleeping since 5:00. Ugh. This does not bode well. I have a sinking feeling he'll be up around, oh, say, 2:00 a.m. Ah well. The kid, and his mom and dad, need sleep. 48 hours and 4 hours of sleep. I am beyond tired. In fact, the computer screen is swimming in front of me right now. Even though it's not yet 7:00, I think I'm going to have to cave and call it a night. Now. If Troy would refrain from snoring at jet engine levels, I'd be set. :(


  1. I am so happy that you are sharing all of this. My thoughts and prayers are with you this week as I get things ready at my school. You certainly aren't missing much. You have much more important and wonderful "work" to do. I can't wait to travel myself in less than 2 weeks to meet my son, Eli.

  2. I'm so glad you are updating--and don't envy the sleep situation!!!! Yikes!! Thinking of you all!